Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Prayer Request

As the New Year approaches, Eric and I will be facing some new challenges. The main one being my job situation. For the last year, I have been able to work for LSU full-time as a telecommuter (work from home). It has really been a blessing and we have seen God's providence for us constantly during this first year of our marriage. He is always faithful! However, my full-time contract with LSU ends December 31st. I have been approved to move to part-time contract work for LSU effective in January. This is one opportunity that we are considering for me.

In the last few weeks, there have been 2 other opportunities arise. The first being a part-time job at our church. It is for a Missions Ministry Assistant. Today I interviewed with the Missions Pastor and it seemed to go really well. This is a new position in the church, so it will be a completely new experience for everyone involved (no one really to say how it was done in the past). However, I think it may be a rewarding job as well, since I would be helping to fulfill the Great Commission by assisting in the mission work of our church.

The other opportunity is with a Web Development company (FoxWebCo) based here in Clinton. This is a small business owned by a couple in our church. I had lunch with them Monday to discuss the job and their company. They are looking for someone to help manage their Content Management System for the Web sites they develop, which is basically what I do for LSU. Since it is a smaller company, they are offering me a test project to do with them. And if they think the experience goes well and that we all work well together, they will offer me a more permanent job. However, this will not be until mid-January at least.

One other factor for us to think about is that none of these jobs offer benefits, the most important of which is health insurance. I can get on Eric's insurance at the church, but it will come out of our pocket. And it is really expensive. The other option is to do COBRA insurance with LSU. Again, of course, this is much more expensive than what I currently pay for insurance. The job with FoxWebCo may offer benefits, but it wouldn't be until I was with the company for awhile.

I ask that you pray for Eric and I as we make this decision. It really is a difficult one, especially for me. I've never NOT had a full-time job. We know that God will provide for us as always. But I also want to take this opportunity to see where God wants me to be in regards to my job/occupation.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We'll be praying for you. I even asked the choir to pray for you as well.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you. It's great you have options, but I understand about the benefits and with the economy it can be even more nerve-racking.