Monday, January 26, 2009

The death of my computer...

Saturday evening, Eric and I were working on our taxes using TurboTax. When all of a sudden, my computer locked up. I gave it some time to try to figure itself out and then I tried to do Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up Task Manager. But that wouldn't work. So I ended up just powering it off. I've had to do this before and never had problems. However, when I turned it back on, it would start to load and then all of a sudden I would get the "blue screen of death" that said "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME". We tried numerous times to restart Windows... normal mode... safe mode... last known good configuration mode. But nothing worked. Then Eric started the troubleshooting. We got the Vista install CD and tried to run all of the repair functions. He was finally able to get it up and running... at least enough for me to pull off all of my documents. He was then going to try to wipe the harddrive and reinstall Windows. However, it kept giving him errors and finally it just wouldn't do anything. We looked into getting a new computer, but then just opted for buying a new harddrive. This option was much cheaper, of course. He found the harddrive that he wanted on Amazon for $90 + overnight shipping for only $3.99 with Prime! So we ordered it and it should be in by tomorrow. He also decided to upgrade the computer to 4GB of RAM. The combo of these 2 things will make my computer much faster! YAY! Some friends of ours at church had an extra laptop that they are letting me borrow for a few days. I'm very thankful for that. At least I will be able to get a few things done - like write this blog :) I don't have all the software I need for LSU on this computer and I don't really want to install it for just a few days. So I'm working on another way to do that work right now.

Computer problems are no fun at all. You don't realize how much you rely on them until you don't have them anymore. Especially for me, since I need it for my job! But I am blessed to have such a wonderful husband that has the knowledge to be able to fix things like this. There are some benefits of marrying a computer nerd! I love you, Eric!

0 comments: